Saturday, September 19, 2009

Separation of Church and State


Last Thursday, Constitution Day, the day that was the pinnacle of the "Separation of Church and State" idea is remembered. Ironically, SMU seems to have a different idea. As I leave advertising class, and walk toward the quad for Spanish I came across one of the most peculiar experiences. First, a sound, the low sound of a southern bell...tolling (poor allusion but bear with me). Next, one of my particularly patriotic friends running up to me saying "I just touched the liberty bell!" Nevermind that he was wrong...the bell does not tour, though it was a replica. Still, that did not strike my fancy, no...what drove me positively bonkers was the sights looming next to the bell...two tablets, but not just any tablets...a modern-day likeness of the 10 commandments. I was livid. Why? I am a Christian, so this was no unfamiliar sight, but the fact that it was the bread to the liberty bell sandwich! It reminded me of people in elementary school putting cheetos on their PB & J...just not right. A symbol that represents a government free of the church, but now the church seems to be the wonderbread of the government. For some, this may seem right, but for me...I would prefer to eat my cheetos separately.

No comments:

Post a Comment