Sunday, September 20, 2009

What is Art?

Did you ever notice that when you are a first-grader, all of your artwork is considered a masterpiece and fridge-worthy? All of it. When you are four years old, you scribble, and it goes right there, next to the baby-shower invite. But what exactly defines art? Because, for me, at least, I have a hard time believing that scribbles are considered art. Shakespeare muses in his work Romeo and Juliet "what's in a name, that which a rose may smell as sweet." Well, my rose of art apparently smells like my car after all this rain (fabric...wet...not a good mix) whereas Jackson Pollock makes a masterpiece by throwing paint on a wall. Who is to say that art is art? My mom likes my stuff...but I bet if my mom were Georgia O'Keefe that would be a different story, unfortunately. Check out jacksonpollock.org, maybe you can be in the Smithsonian, this took me about 2 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment