Sunday, October 11, 2009

Livin' on Tulsa Time


I am an Oklahoma girl, born and raised.  And no, I am not lucky enough to receive affirmative action money from the government due to my Native American heritage, unfortunately.  However...I do love my home.  Right now it is fall break and I am home, and I am glad.  Though I do miss my SMU community, it is nice to get in touch with these unique roots.  I am from Jenks, Oklahoma (pronounced "Jinx" but don't even think about that name working out, we dominate at everything).  Jenks is separated from Tulsa by a river, the Arkansas River in fact (though it mostly looks like sandbars).  Now, my home is no ordinary suburb, it is the "suburbaboonies."  The etymology of this word is very simple: suburb, meaning town near a city and boonies, as in middle of nowhere.  Although I am close to the city, it takes 15 minutes to go anywhere, including the nears Reasor's (Kroger for groceries?  I think not!) due to the traffic and barrenness of the land.  For you see, I do not actually live in Jenks, I live on the border of Jenks, Glenpool, Bixby, and Sapulpa (try and pronounce those, go ahead...haha).  Therefore, to my close North is a Ranch, to the South is a power plant (constant power surges and subsequent outages are necessary, of course), and to the East I have a car wash (delicious sno-cones, mind you) and the West, I have grass...with a small strip center.   These amenities, though not necessary to make up the suburbaboonies, similar quantities of neighborhoods and seemingly-useless businesses will suffice, are what make my home.  And I love it.  How many people can boast they live in the middle of nowhere, not too far from the town and grocery store, and near a city?  My home is special. period.

No comments:

Post a Comment