Tuesday, October 13, 2009

The Look

From the hit 80's rock song "She's Got the Look" to current society, someone always seems to have "the look."  But what is "the look?"  For me, it represents comfort, and feeling good in your own skin.  For some, that may mean makeup and a fancy dress and for others (myself included) sagging sweat pants and an oversized sweatshirt (don't judge me).  However, society seems to have change this idea of "the look" into something completely different and fake.  One of the ads from the Dove self-esteem campaign gets this message across:

Does the media force our perceptions?  Yes.  So why can't I feel comfortable going to class in a ponytail and sweats eating a donut?  No, it seems that what is currently accepted are those God-aweful leggings (some even take it to tights...like babies...shudder) and a carmel macchiato.  The bottom line is that "The look" is worded wrong.  There is no "The look" it is "My look."

No comments:

Post a Comment